vendredi 30 septembre 2005

Reversal of Fortune? Reversal of Something.

Well, Judith Miller's out of jail. I'm inspired to repeat myself about how I feel regarding this whole thing.

After being locked up in jail for nearly three months, New York Times reporter Judith Miller was released on Thursday after agreeing to testify before a grand jury investigating who in the Bush administration leaked a covert
CIA operative's name.

...

According to her attorneys, Miller, an investigative reporter who covers national security and foreign policy issues, has been in a U.S. jail longer than any other newspaper journalist to protect a source.


Excuse me? "Protect a source"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that whole "protect a source" thing is supposed to keep a source safe if they're revealing an illegal activity so that it can be exposed to the public, and lawmakers. It is not, as far as I know, intended to keep a reporter from having to testify about a crime he or she has taken part in that didn't even result in a newspaper article.

The Plame expose wasn't for the public good, it was for the private detriment of two US citizens - citizens who work for the greater good of the country. Miller went to jail, all right, but claiming the nobility of protecting a journalitsic source? Not hers to claim, my friends, not hers to claim.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire