jeudi 19 mai 2005

Isn't this what's called "making terroristic threats"?


And don't we put people in jail for saying stuff like this? As if it weren't bad enough that Bill Frist is calling Democrats "assassins" for not marching in lockstep on Bush's corporate whore judges, now we have this little gem from hate radio host Glenn Beck (via Media Matters):

From the May 17 broadcast of The Glenn Beck Program:

BECK: Hang on, let me just tell you what I'm thinking. I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong? I stopped wearing my What Would Jesus -- band -- Do, and I've lost all sense of right and wrong now. I used to be able to say, "Yeah, I'd kill Michael Moore," and then I'd see the little band: What Would Jesus Do? And then I'd realize, "Oh, you wouldn't kill Michael Moore. Or at least you wouldn't choke him to death." And you know, well, I'm not sure.


Now, don't give me a bunch of crap against Randi Rhodes as a way of justifying this. First of all, what ran on the Randi Rhodes show (and I heard it, unlike most of the people who screamed about it), was clearly designed to be a "comedy" bit. It wasn't funny, it was distasteful, repugnant, and uncalled for, and no one said so louder than Randi Rhodes hreself -- for days on end. And she apologized for running it on her show -- which is more than Tom DeLay and Bill Frist have done for advocating the killing of judges. Randi Rhodes has never once advocated the killing of anyone, let alone the president. And when she ran a segment put together by others on her show, she took responsibility for it, apologized, and not even the Secret Service thought it warranted further attention.

But here is a guy, saying right on radio, that he's thinking about killing Michael Moore. That's an outright threat. Or it would be, if we didn't live in a country in which Ann Coulter can advocate mass execution of liberals, Tom DeLay can tell people to go out and kill judges they don't agree with, and Bill Frist uses the word "assassination" to describe Democrats filibustering judges at the same time that a judge whose husband and mother were murdered is speaking out against this kind of rhetoric before a Senate committee.

The GOP apologists had better just face it: Their party is out of control. Their leaders are out of control. They have been taken over by a 13th century theocratic bunch of lunatics who are far more un-American than I, or Randi Rhodes, or even Michael Moore, could ever be.

We dislike this president. We believe he's illegitimate. We believe he's dangerous for America. We want him out of office via impeachment and disgrace. But NO ONE on the left is advocating the killing of the president, or of Tom DeLay, or of Rush Limbaugh, or of anyone else. We don't work that way. But the other side does. Eric Rudolph and Neal the Mule-Fucker Horsley with his assassination list of abortion doctors are proof.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire