mercredi 31 août 2005

The hits just keep on coming


Random thoughts and updates:

I feel completely useless....

Gov. Kathleen Blanco is on the WWL video feed and just used the "R" word (refugees) to describe the people in the Superdome...which just points out how much we tend to think of "refugees" as people in OTHER countries.

WWL is on air again and they just said that the French Quarter is going to be under water. This is like watching the TITANIC sink -- only over a course of days.

I'm keeping my eyes open for media focus on looters. Steve Gilliard notes a disturbing early example of white looting = "finding" and black looting = "stealing" in media-speak, and Amanda wonders if the media will begin focusing on people trying to get what they need in a situation of complete anarchy, so as to make people think that these unfortunates somehow deserve their fate.

But as yet even Fox News isn't focusing on looters, though in its sidebar, it does refer to them as "brazen." I'll tell you a secret, folks: I'm white and middle-class, and if I'd been on my roof for three days and my baby needed diapers or formula or I hadn't had anything to drink since Sunday, I'd damn well loot too. I mean, what the fuck are the shopowners going to do with the stuff after it's been underwater? So I don't want to hear anything about looters from anyone who's safe and dry and NOT in the Delta.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire