mercredi 20 juillet 2005

The Stealth Scalia


Now we'll see if the Democrats' recently-discovered cojones were just a temporary aberration (my bet: yes they were, given that Joe the DINO Lieberman had already offered his support before the guy was even nominated).

Because in John G. Roberts, George W. Bush has selected a judge with a limited track record who has made Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council ecstatic:

"He promised to nominate someone along the lines of a Scalia or a Thomas, and that is exactly what he has done."


This morning I found no less than twenty-three e-mails from various and sundry activist groups. Perhaps I just have "cause fatigue", but it seems that all these groups are wasting their breath. Republicans have a majority in the Senate, and the Democratic Party has enough Joementum that you just KNOW it's going to cave.

As I've said before, the time to vote for civil rights, corporations kept in check, and the right to control one's own body was last November. When enough people thought that preventing some gay guys they never met from getting married was more important than individual freedoms and their own economic interests, when enough people refused to understand the voting shenanigans in Ohio and Florida to speak out, and when our own nominee threw in the towel before all the votes were even counted, the die was cast.

I'm trying to console myself with the possibility that at least there may not be any more decisions that would allow the hacks who run my town to sell my house right out from under me to a developer who wants to build a McMansion.

More useful information about Roberts here and here.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire