mercredi 19 mars 2008

Desperately seeking notebook PC < $1000. Thin and/or lightweight a must

Last summer I spent three days at YKos shlepping my bigass HP Pavilion around the McCormick Center in a backpack. It's a preposterously powerful machine, but I really need something smaller and lighter for travel. So I'm looking for recommendations, just to confuse the issue further. I was mulling over the $399 ASUS eee, but it just doesn't seem to quite do the trick, and it won't handle the VPN I need for work. So right now, unless someone knows of a fantastic alternative, I'm looking at the base model Dell XPS M1300 and the HP Pavilion tx2000z, which I can get for $900 with 2.2ghz AMD Dual-core processor, 2GB memory, 250GB hard drive, Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone, wireless networking with bluetooth, the HP USB TV tuner and 8x LightScribe (you can burn labels on the discs) double-layer DVD / CD burner.

The advantage of the HP is a tablet, which means I could easily use it on a flip-down shelf in the kitchen when I'm not traveling, so I didn't have to print out recipes and have all this miscellaneous paper around the house. But it's an AMD chip.

So, all you techie folks out there, what do YOU think?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire